Jobs with HandsOn San Diego
Title: Executive Director
Reports to: Advisory Board Chair
Deadline Date: Open Until Filled
Starting Date: January 2019
Location: San Diego, CA (Kearny Mesa)
Part Time (30 hours per week to start, additional FT hours / exempt status, once goals are reached)
Ability to work evenings and weekends when required
HandsOn San Diego seeks to hire its first Executive Director, a collaborative nonprofit leader with the experience and community connectivity to drive greater philanthropic support for and public awareness of volunteer action in San Diego.
Reporting to the Advisory Board, the Executive Director will be responsible for the leadership and management of HandsOn San Diego’s resource development, operations, finances, and programs. The Executive Director will be responsible for creating and leading the successful execution of an annual fundraising plan with the goal of raising $300k from corporate events, partnerships, grants, special events, membership, and individual donors. Working closely with the Advisory Board, the Executive Director will contribute leadership and vision to promote the growth and long-term sustainability of HandsOn San Diego. The Executive Director will represent HandsOn San Diego in the community, develop community partnerships, and engage stakeholders to increase public awareness and further HandsOn San Diego’s mission. The Executive Director will provide staff support to the Advisory Board and support the recruitment and engagement of new Board members. The Executive Director position calls for an energetic, innovative, flexible, collaborative, and eager-to-learn professional.
Key Duties and Primary Responsibilities
Fundraising & Development: 60%
- Development, outreach, and sales of Corporate Volunteer Events (CVE) and Employee Volunteer Programs (EVP) to local businesses and inbound corporate meetings/events (tourism market).
- Identify and pursue long- and short-term funding opportunities to meet the needs of the organization, including new earned revenue opportunities.
- Engage in fundraising and development activities to secure new sources of funding from government, corporate, individual contributors, and family/community foundations.
- Organize, mobilize, and support Board giving and fundraising efforts.
- Strategize, write, and submit grant opportunities and continuously seek new foundation opportunities.
- Leadership of the Fundraising and Partnership Action Team, a team of volunteers with a passion for grant writing, community partnerships, and employee volunteer programs.
Organizational/People Leadership: 30%
- Manage a team of two full-time staff and internal volunteers to deliver programs that strengthen communities through volunteer action.
- Oversee finance and ensure compliance with legal and contractual responsibilities; review and present monthly financial statements; work with Mission Edge Finance Team to prepare year-end financials for review.
- Monitor HandsOn San Diego’s revenue projections and keep the Board updated monthly.
- Design and build annual budget.
- Inspire, lead and grow a diverse staff and volunteer team with innovative ideas; harness their creativity to propel the organization forward.
- Provide timely and accurate reports to the Board. Identify and cultivate Board prospects.
- Drive the development of current and long-term organizational goals and objectives, as well as policies and procedures for HandsOn San Diego’s operations; establish plans to achieve goals set by the Board and implement policies, with Board input.
- Work with Program Team to co-design, monitor, and evaluate programs as well as build proposals for new opportunities.
Community & Partner Relations: 10%
- Identify and expand upon existing opportunities for strategic collaborations with partners across nonprofits, businesses, city, and more.
- Represent HandsOn San Diego publicly as needed, including evening and weekend events.
- Develop and execute outreach/sales of Corporate Volunteer Events and Employee Volunteer Events.
- In collaboration with the Fundraising and Partnership Action Team, develop annual fundraising plan.
- 5+ years of management experience in a nonprofit organization
- Experience managing a team and a strong ability and desire to motivate, coach, and develop staff; professional maturity with the confidence and humility to inspire and infuse teams with purpose and enthusiasm
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent education / experience
- Proven familiarity with San Diego funders and revenue opportunities preferred
- Possesses a high degree of emotional intelligence: self-awareness, self-regulation, empathy, motivation, and social skills
- Ability to work comfortably in a startup environment, including good time management skills and a strong sense of urgency, interest, and ability to work as part of a collaborative team
- Experience with volunteer management a plus; must have ability to remain flexible and persistent when working with volunteers
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, friendly, and professional demeanor
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Drive required; knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- Must utilize own transportation for field work (with expense reimbursement)
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment: Work is performed in an office setting; regularly sits at a computer station; occasionally lifts, carries and positions objects weighing up to 20 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $23/hr - $26/hr (for 30 hours a week), commensurate with work experience, skills, and educational background. Additional full time hours and exempt status once fundraising goals are reached within calendar year. Potential for future growth based upon demonstrated accomplishments. HandsOn San Diego offers a great benefits package including medical/dental plans, paid time off, including holidays, a flexible work schedule, and more.
Additional Information: This position is a part time, non-exempt position for 30 hours per week. Work schedule is primarily conducted during traditional business hours with occasional evening and weekends for trainings and projects. No relocation offered. This position requires a criminal background check prior to hire. Valid California driver’s license with acceptable driving record for the past three years required.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter for this position to email@example.com. Applicants who speak directly to their interest in the work of HandsOn San Diego and fundraising experience will be given priority. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. No emails, phone calls, walk-ins, or recruiters, please.
HandsOn San Diego is fiscally sponsored by Mission Edge San Diego. Mission Edge San Diego provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, caregiver status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
HandsOn San Diego strengthens communities through volunteer action and leadership development.
HandsOn San Diego is a volunteer-powered organization that creates opportunities for people to volunteer and lead in their communities. We strive to provide volunteers with a high-quality experience that fuels further action, and we envision a day when everyone is inspired and equipped to be the change they wish to see in the world. HandsOn San Diego is an affiliate of HandsOn Network, an alliance of innovative volunteer management organizations across the country and around the world.
A PDF version of this job description can be viewed here.