Environmental Volunteering with HandsOn!
- Trail Tykes: A Program for Little Explorers
- April 9, 10, 23, 24 → 10:00 am - 11:30 am
- Created by the Mission Trails Regional Park Foundation for children 2-5 years old, Trail Tykes includes a children’s story read aloud, and a craft/activity or short guided walk.
- Carlsbad Earth Month Celebration
- April 15 → 9:00 am - 1:00 pm Pine Avenue Community Park
- Enjoy family-friendly activities, sustainability-focused booths, and live music at the City of Carlsbad’s annual Earth Month Celebration. Activities include a clothing swap, DIY homemade cleaning products workshop, kids crafts, and more.
- South Bay Earth Day in Chula Vista
- April 15 → 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
- South Bay Earth Day, hosted at Chula Vista Bayfront Park, will be South County's largest Earth Day celebration featuring more than 40 green vendors, live entertainment, a free Tie-Dye workshop, and a free Fix-It Clinic.
- San Diego EarthFest
- April 22 → 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- San Diego EarthFest is a free celebration in Balboa Park featuring over 100 eco-friendly food, product, and service vendors as well as environmental groups.
- Alta Vista Botanical Gardens Earth Day Festival
- April 22 → 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- This is a free event for the community to celebrate the Earth with fun and informative activities for the whole family to enjoy, from rock painting and music to worm discovery and trash sorting.
- I Love a Clean San Diego Creek to Bay Cleanup
- April 22 → 9:00 am
- The Creek to Bay Cleanup is San Diego’s biggest family-friendly trash cleanup on Earth Day with sites all around the community!
- 31st Annual Multi-Cultural Earth Day
- April 23 → 11:00 am - 6:00 pm
- This year, WorldBeat Center’s Multi-Cultural Earth Day will be focused and dedicated to Climate Resilience and Food Sovereignty. Our food and our health are threatened by the conventional way of living, but we the people are the solution to today’s problems.
- Surfing Madonna "Ocean-Earth-Air" Art & Poetry Exhibit
- April 23 → 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Poway Center for Performing Arts
- This art, poetry, and music exhibit centers around hope and appreciation for the ocean and support for the arts.
“Invest in Our Planet”
The theme for Earth Month 2023 is “Invest in Our Planet,” which encourages governments, businesses, and communities equally to hold themselves accountable and do their part! Points of Light’s Civic Circle encourages each and every one of us to leverage our purchasing power and invest in things that matter!
Here are some sustainable businesses in San Diego:
- The Mighty Bin is a zero-waste grocery store that features local food and vendors, ethically sourced ingredients, and package-free food, personal care, and household products.
- Scisters Salon and Apothecary is San Diego’s first Zero Waste Salon, offering beauty products in bulk and various other supplies for living a zero waste, intentional lifestyle.
- Pit & Seed provides a local and sustainable meal prep & delivery marketplace with all meals served using zero-waste reusable packaging. Use promo code "hosd20" for 20% off Pitted Seed items for the first 2 consecutive weeks - new customers only!
- Eco Boat Rentals in Point Loma provides sustainable pedal boats for a daytime or evening adventure on the San Diego Bay.
- The Bountiful Bag sells a collection of bags made from upcycled grain bags sourced from local breweries and banners from local music and beer festivals.
- Love This Mother is a zero waste sustainable lifestyle store that sells locally made and sustainable products, from soaps and makeup to kitchen products.
- The Holistic Science Co sells natural and sustainable products made and sold in their shop in Ocean Beach!
- James Coffee Co. features a glass jar exchange program for their to-go products to reduce waste from single use coffee cups.
- Earthwell is a refill store with natural products from soaps to cleaners, as well as retail items.
- San Diego Fix-It Clinic is a free opportunity to learn how to repair household objects like clothes and skateboards to provide an alternative to throwing broken items away.